As Trump Flouts Safety Protocols, News Outlets Balk at Close Coverage


It is also typically a coveted assignment. But this week, at least seven major news outlets declined to accept one of the available press seats on Mr. Trump’s plane, according to people familiar with internal planning discussions. Publications including BuzzFeed News, Politico and Hearst Newspapers have declined pool slots in recent days.

“White House reporters had safety concerns and were not comfortable traveling with the president at this time,” Elisabeth Bumiller, the Times’s Washington bureau chief, said in a statement on Monday. The paper’s chief White House correspondent, Peter Baker, recently informed the correspondents’ association of its decision to temporarily forgo pool duties.

The Journal declined to comment. A spokeswoman for The Post said, “We continue to evaluate our coverage plans.” A Trump spokesman, Judd Deere, said the White House press office and the correspondents’ association were “in regular discussions to ensure that all those traveling in the protective pool feel safe to do so.”

Some journalists said they had hoped the correspondents’ association would lobby more aggressively on their behalf, urging the group, which negotiates for access and proper working conditions, to do more to protect them.

Zeke Miller, an Associated Press reporter who is president of the association, told members last week that he spoke frequently with White House aides about health and safety concerns. “While we know no situation is 100 percent safe in a pandemic, it is our expectation that the pool will not be put in an unduly risky position,” Mr. Miller wrote in a memo.

Reporters at the White House, though, were alarmed this weekend to see Mr. Trump’s virus adviser, Dr. Scott W. Atlas, without a face covering. And when Mr. Trump’s chief of staff, Mark Meadows, was approached by journalists on Monday on Capitol Hill, he objected when told to keep wearing his face covering.

“I’m not going to talk through a mask,” Mr. Meadows said dismissively, before walking away.

Mr. Trump is planning a televised town hall this week to replace the canceled second debate against Joseph R. Biden Jr., the Democratic presidential nominee. But NBC executives have asked the White House for independent proof of Mr. Trump’s condition to ensure it will be safe for him to appear at the Miami event with dozens of NBC crew members and a moderator, likely the “Today” show host Savannah Guthrie.





Source link

Recent articles

Grenell Pursued Talks Over Change of Power in Venezuela

WASHINGTON — Richard Grenell, a close Trump ally who has served numerous roles in the administration, quietly embarked on a pre-election mission last...

FROM THE FIELD: Women guardians of the environment

Women from around the world are being given a more prominent role in the fight against climate change, thanks to the efforts of...

Dinosaur Asteroid Hit Worst Case Place

We all know the story: 66 million years ago, a giant asteroid crashed into Earth, killing off three-quarters of all species, including most...

NEWS: Disney’s Grand Floridian Society Orchestra Will Reunite At Holiday Festival This Winter

Since the parks reopened in July, entertainment in Disney...

Buy Growth Tech Stock Chegg for a Digital Learning Future?

Chegg CHGG began as an online textbook hub for college students and has expanded into a diverse digital educational company. CHGG was already...

Leave a reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here