Microsoft sues to stop Covid-19 scammers from attacking its customers


Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella speaks during the Future Decoded Tech Summit in Bengaluru, India, on Feb. 25, 2020.

Samyukta Lakshmi | Bloomberg | Getty Images

Microsoft said on Tuesday it received court approval to stop cyberattacks that use concerns around the coronavirus to trick customers into providing hackers with access to information.

The announcement comes after the U.S. Federal Trade Commission said earlier this month that Americans have lost over $77 million because of coronavirus-related fraud, with people reporting over 62,000 incidents since the start of the year.

Microsoft said that fraudsters have used phishing attacks in emails, trying to fool recipients by offering what appeared to be information on bonuses at a time when people were concerned about job cuts and a contracting economy. For instance, a victim received a fake email concerning a “Covid-19 bonus,” Tom Burt, a corporate vice president at Microsoft, wrote in a blog post. After clicking on the link, the person would be asked to approve access to a web application, where hackers could gain access to information in the victims’ Office 365 accounts, Burt wrote.

Microsoft was able to take down certain domains that were associated with the attacks, thanks to a ruling from the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, Burt wrote. Still, people should be on the lookout for illegitimate messages and enable two-factor authentication on their email accounts, he wrote.

Microsoft often talks about efforts to stop cybercriminals, including those affiliated with nation-states. The company said in April that the virus had only minimal impact on its own business in the first quarter.

WATCH: Tech companies partner with WHO for a coronavirus hackathon



Source link

Recent articles

Ohio Governor Says His Flawed Virus Test Shouldn’t Undercut New, Rapid Methods

Gov. Mike DeWine of Ohio, who last week tested positive for the coronavirus, then negative and then negative again, said on CNN on...

Egypt extends detention of Al Jazeera journalist Mahmoud Hussein | News

Egyptian authorities have extended the detention of Al Jazeera journalist Mahmoud Hussein by another 45 days. The extension on Sunday came more than 1,300...

Created with Blender 2.8: ‘Take on me’ cover: Arrangement for Flute orchestras

PiDi writes: 'Take on me' cover: Arrangement for Flute orchestras (Cover) Similar to the original video, it looks like a comic book. All image effects were...

Looks Like AT&T Cancelled Plans for WB Interactive Sale

Following months of reports about its sale, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment seems to be resting safely with AT&T for now, if comments by...

Leave a reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here