US Warns of ‘Consequences’ If Brazil Picks Huawei 5G


The US ambassador in Brasilia warned of “consequences” if Brazil chooses Chinese telecoms company Huawei to develop its 5G network, in an interview published Wednesday.

“I wouldn’t say there would be retaliation, but there would be consequences” if Brazil goes against US advice and picks the Chinese firm, Ambassador Todd Chapman told newspaper Globo.

Brazil is due to launch a tender next year for the project to develop the next generation of telecommunications technology in Latin America’s most populous country, home to 212 million people.

The United States has been actively lobbying countries worldwide to boycott Huawei, arguing the firm could allow the Chinese government to spy on their data.

“At any time, the Chinese government could ask Huawei to send it information,” Chapman said.

“There’s no purely American company in the running. I’m not saying this to make a billion dollars. It’s a matter of national security.”

Other companies that have shown interest in Brazil’s 5G tender include Sweden’s Ericsson and Finland’s Nokia.

Chapman also warned Brazil could scare away foreign investment by contracting a company that the US claims violates intellectual property rights and receives unfair state support that puts its competitors at a disadvantage.

“The US position is to alert our allies and friends, such as Brazil, so they know who they’re working with,” he said.

Chapman said the United States was prepared to help secure funds through the International Development Finance Corporation, a US government institution, to roll out 5G “for those who buy products from reliable suppliers.”

The pressure is putting President Jair Bolsonaro’s government in a bind.

Since taking office last year, the far-right leader has cultivated close ties with US President Donald Trump, whom he admires.

But China is Brazil’s biggest trading partner.

The row comes amid what many analysts are describing as a “new Cold War” between the US and China.

Britain announced earlier this month it would remove Huawei equipment from its 5G network, bowing to pressure from Washington despite warnings of retaliation from Beijing.

Related: Chinese Companies Huawei and ZTE Declared National Security Threats by FCC

Related: China Urges ‘Fair’ Treatment After France Restricts Huawei

view counter

RSS Icon
picture 86

© AFP 2020

tag iconTags:



Source link

Recent articles

Ohio Governor Says His Flawed Virus Test Shouldn’t Undercut New, Rapid Methods

Gov. Mike DeWine of Ohio, who last week tested positive for the coronavirus, then negative and then negative again, said on CNN on...

Egypt extends detention of Al Jazeera journalist Mahmoud Hussein | News

Egyptian authorities have extended the detention of Al Jazeera journalist Mahmoud Hussein by another 45 days. The extension on Sunday came more than 1,300...

Created with Blender 2.8: ‘Take on me’ cover: Arrangement for Flute orchestras

PiDi writes: 'Take on me' cover: Arrangement for Flute orchestras (Cover) Similar to the original video, it looks like a comic book. All image effects were...

Looks Like AT&T Cancelled Plans for WB Interactive Sale

Following months of reports about its sale, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment seems to be resting safely with AT&T for now, if comments by...

Leave a reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here